Official Tourist Website for the city of Cordoba - Accommodation, restaurants, places of interest, activities, cultural programme and all other tourist information for visitors and professionals

Search

Search
Cordoba, World Heritage Site
 
Tiempo Córdoba
 

Church of San Basilio

Iglesia de San Basilio The present-day parish church was formerly the convent-house of the monks of San Basilio Magno (St. Basil the Great), which was founded in 1590. The convent was dissolved in the 19th century and it was converted into a parish church in 1846. There have been so many changes over the years that little now remains of the original 16th century building. The plan of the church is in the shape of a Latin cross, with one nave and a transept. The simple exterior leads to the central nave, with its exquisite decorative ceiling, both of which are 17th century Baroque. The side chapels, sacristy and small chapel were added in the 18th century. The main altarpiece, made by Gómez de Sandoval in the 18th century, is particularly impressive, and the main altar itself is decorated with a number of sculptures, of which the central one is of the Virgen de la Paz (Virgin of Peace). The altars which grace the ends of the transept are also Baroque: on the left there is a sculpture of San Francisco made by Alonso de Mena. In the former Baptismal Chapel, which now contains the image of the parish's patron saint, there are sculptures of Nuestro Padre Jesús de la Pasión (Our Father Jesus of Passion), Nuestra Señora del Amor (Our Lady of Love) and San Juan Evangelista (St. John the Evangelist). The central nave is decorated with a number of paintings, and the church owns several golden vessels from the 19th century.

Ayuntamiento de Córdoba