On 19th November 1951 Antonio Cruz Conde became Mayor of Cordoba, and during the nearly eleven years of his mandate, the city underwent huge changes in terms of both urban development and social infrastructure.
During this time, the water supply to the city was finished and the airport was opened on 25th May 1958, despite the enormous difficulties experienced in meeting construction deadlines.
The San Rafael bridge was built and a new General Scheme of Urban Planning was drawn up in 1959. Historic buildings like the Alcazar (Castle) with its gardens or the Calahorra or Malmuerta Towers were restored and some of them opened to the public.
On the advice of the poet Ricardo Molina he created the national Flamenco Art competitions in 1956, and encouraged the world of culture by opening the Municipal Art Gallery (which has since closed down) and the Municipal Bullfighting Museum. He also helped promote hotels and encourage the development of tourism in the city, and, on a more popular note, brought in the Festival of the Cordoban Patios (Courtyards).